7. Gershenson, Seth, & Hayes, Michael S. (Forthcoming). Police Shootings, Civil Unrest, and Student Achievement: Evidence from Ferguson. In Press, Journal of Economic Geography. DOI: 10.1093/jeg/lbx014 [Published Version, Accepted Manuscript]
6. Gershenson, Seth & Hayes, Michael S. (Forthcoming). The implications of summer learning loss for value-added estimates of teacher effectiveness. In Press, Educational Policy. DOI: 10.1177/0895904815625288. [Published Version, Accepted Manuscript]
4. Brummet, Quentin, Gershenson, Seth, & Hayes, Michael S. 2017. Teachers’ grade-level reassignments: Evidence from Michigan. Educational Policy, 31(2): 249-271. DOI: 10.1177/0895904815586857. [Published Version, Accepted Manuscript]
3. Hayes, Michael S., & Gershenson, Seth. 2016. Differences in the Difference a Day Makes: Quantile Regression Estimates of the Distribution of Daily Learning Gains. Economic Letters, 141: 48-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.econlet.2016.01.023. [Published Version, IZA Discussion Paper No. 9305]
2. Hayes, Michael S. 2015. The differential effect of the no child left behind act on states’ contributions to education funding in states with binding tax and expenditure limitations. Public Budgeting & Finance, 35(1): 49-72. DOI: 10.1111/pbaf.12058. [Published Version, Accepted Manuscript]
1. Johnson, Jocelyn, Marlowe, Justin, Matkin, David, & Hayes, Michael S. 2011. The impact of local school property tax reductions on city and county revenue decisions: A natural experiment in Kansas. Public Finance & Management, 11(2): 181-196. [Published Version]
Faculty Fellow, Walter Rand Institute for Public Affairs (2017)
Emerging Education Policy Scholar, AEI & Thomas B. Fordham Institute (2017)
Outstanding Graduate Scholarship Award, School of Public Affairs, American University (2014).
Emerging Scholars Award, National Association of Schools of Public Affairs & Administration (2013)
Neil and Ann Kerwin Dissertation Fellowship, $15,000 (2013)
Runner-up, Best Poster Presentation, Association for Budgeting & Financial Management (2013)
Charles Levine Doctoral Student Research Award, School of Public Affairs, American University (2012)
Hayes, Michael S., & Gershenson, Seth. The estimation of summer learning loss. [Working Paper]
Stazky, Edmund C., & Hayes, Michael S. Teachers’ assessments of principal’s goal setting approach and its implications on teacher turnover. [Working Paper]
Hayes, Michael S. Tax and expenditure limitations (TELs), school accountability policies, and K-12 education expenditures and resources.
Hayes, Michael S. The effects of school district income taxes on educational resources and outcomes.
Nguyen-Hoang, Phuong, & Hayes, Michael S. Effects of school district income taxes on property values: An unintended consequence.
Atteberry, Allison, Gershenson, Seth, Hayes, Michael S., McEachin, Andrew. Spring or fall annual tests? Implications for value-added models.
Gershenson, Seth, & Hayes, Michael S. Students in Ferguson schools flounder amidst civic unrest. Brookings Brown Center Chalkboard blog posts. August 5, 2016. [Published Version]
Mullins, Daniel, Hayes, Michael S., Smith, Chad. 2014. The role of local revenue and expenditure limitations in shaping the composition of debt and its implications. Proceedings of the 105th Annual Conference of Taxation. Washington, D.C.: National Tax Association. [Published Version]